Moissanite stones continuing to take the engagement ring market from diamonds industry. In the last year, insane number of our customers are continuing to request and purchase Moissanite Custom Engagement ring with a moissanite center stone as opposed to a traditional mined diamonds. Moissanite is a very good substitute to the diamonds because it is a white stone as diamond and it is double the brilliants then a diamond which means it sparkles twice as much as any mined diamond. Moissanite gems come in a variety of sizes and shapes. The beauty of the moissanite it provides our customers with an ability to purchase a larger size stones for the fraction of a mined diamond price without create a whole in his bank account.
Identification of Moissanite compared to a natural diamond
Because of the higher dispersion factor (ability to split light into rainbow colors) that gives moissanite its signature fire, it can be easily identified when compared to a natural diamond. Anyone who has seen a few natural diamonds would also be able to pick it in most lighting conditions as well. However to the untrained eye, it might not be so obvious. Interestingly too, moissanite can actually fool some diamond testing machines (thermal testers) and produce a false positive.
However it is safe to say that if a thermal diamond tester gives a positive result, the stone is either a diamond or moissanite no other stones will give the same result. It should then be a simple matter to distinguish between the two visually. In addition to the dispersion, birefraction will produce a visible difference. As mentioned previously in my article about moissanite jewelry, birefraction is caused by the internal crystalline structure of the gem, and results in facets of the gem looking ‘fuzzy’ when viewed from certain angles. Finally, moissanite can sometimes be identified by long thin ‘inclusions’ (imperfections) in the stone, visible under magnification. Still, there are several benefits of moissanite vs diamonds with price being a significant factor!
Moissanite vs Diamond: Beauty, Durability, Price
Sofia Lior clients continue to demonstrate an insane interest for moissanite engagement rings in the current fine jewelry market. In recent trends it also shown in the World Fine Jewelry demand is high quality designed moissanite engagement rings and looks like it will continue to increase. It goes without saying that this stone is becoming a natural competitor to the diamonds.
Moissanite occupies a specific niche for good reason. It comes in different sizes and shapes. It is characterized by a special sparkling charm, natural beauty and unique luxury. Does it sound persuasive? We bet, it does! If you still have some doubts concerning the look of moissanite rings vs diamonds, just read some moissanite engagement ring reviews to be sure, that it is a great alternative to a diamond.
Moissanite gems are really hard stones. This is shown by the Mohs scale. A score of Moissanite is 9.25 and they are almost as hard as diamonds. Their score is 10 up on the same scale. This makes moissanite extremely durable. It is perfect for daily wear and there is no need to remove a ring from your finger. Other natural gemstones, such as emeralds and sapphires, have lower scores on the scale.
Compare Prices Between Moissanites & Natural Diamonds
The most attractive thing about moissanite is their price. Moissanites will cost far less than mined diamonds if we compare their size and quality. Let's have a look at one example. Moissanite 1 carat might cost approximately $650. Its price will depend on its quality. At the same time, a 1 carat GIA certified diamond can cost you at least $5,000. In this case its quality also plays a role. For $1,500 you can purchase a 3 carats Oval Moissanite, while an Oval 3 carats diamond will cost at least $30,000 or even more if the quality is high. Price is an extremely important factor. In this situation any person has an opportunity to save considerably. Moissanite gives people more options when it is time to choose a design for the custom designed engagement ring.
|Jewelry Store||Sofia Lior||Sofia Lior||Lumera Diamonds||Blue Nile|
|TYPE OF STONE||Moissanite||Moissanite||Natural Diamond||Natural Diamond|
Moissanite vs lab diamond
Since the introduction of lab-grown diamonds, more and more people have been asked if there are any difference between moissanite and lab diamonds. To begin with, this is not the same gem. But perhaps more importantly, they don't look the same. So, before choosing between lab grown diamonds vs moissanite, let's make sure you get what you really want.
The first question is what is moissanite vs lab grown diamond? The first comparison of these pieces of jewelry is in their composition. Lab diamond has crystal clear carbon, while moissanite is made up of both silica and carbon.This is the big difference between these diamonds.
The second question is which is better moissanite or lab created diamonds? This question is difficult to unequivocally answer, since there are both pluses for moissanite and for lab diamonds. Let's compare them in more detail:
- The first example, moissanite sparkles more than lab diamond and brighter than lab diamond. In fact, moissanite reflects twice as much color sparkle as a lab diamond. The dispersion of moissanite is 0.104 compared to 0.044 for lab diamond.
- The second example is that lab diamonds come in all colors. So they can be colorless, or any of the colors of the rainbow, like blue, red, or purple. Moissanite is found in nature only in colorless, almost colorless and yellowish-green hues.
- The third example, the hardness of moissanite is the same for lab diamonds. So, on a scale of hardness from 1 to 10, lab diamond has a 10, while moissanite has a hardness of 9.25 to 10.
- The fourth example, the price. Lab diamonds, because they are harder, more traditional, and more sought after, carry a higher price tag. So when comparing cvd diamond vs moissanite, moissanite is cheaper.
So if you want to compare simulated diamond vs moissanite, then you should pay attention to our examples and make your own choice. But if you are still in doubt, then we can help you choose exactly the diamond that will be irresistible for you.
Moissanite vs diamond side by side
We have mentioned earlier about some differences that moissanite has. Let's talk about the comparison of moissanite vs diamonds in more details. We will compare it only with naturally mined gems not taking into account the comparison of moissanite vs lab created diamonds. As you may know, there are some essential criteria for gemstones evaluation. They are 4Cs:
- Carat. Due to the fact that the moissanite is denser than the diamond, for similar shape stones, moissanite will have more carats. In our table, you can see that moissanites we compare have 6.13 and 7 carats versus diamonds of 5 and 7 carats.
- Color. The color scale for diamonds starts with Latin alphabet letter D. In gemology, gems classified from D to F (DEF) are the most transparent ones. And if the mark on the stone is G or further, it is called almost colorless because of a slight yellowish tint, which can be seen when comparing diamonds of colors D and H. If there is nothing to compare with, then no specialist will notice any shade In our table, moissanites are given the highest classification. For natural diamonds, such mark as DEF refers to very rare and investment diamonds. These diamonds are only supplied for custom made jewelry. That is why, diamonds in the table are classified by E and H. By the way, moissanite fire is twice brighter than of a diamond thanks to its colorless.
- We should tell some words about clarity even if we haven't compared it here. To find a gem with the highest clarity level is a die-hard task. For lab-grown moissanites extreme clarity is normal.
- Cost. This argument is also of high value. Due to a complex process of mining and a little resource, the price for a diamond is almost always very high. For moissanite, the price per carat is much lower. Take a look at the table. For 7-carats gems, the price differs 150 times!
Comparing the Appearance of Diamonds and Moissanites
That synthetic gem is one of the hardest things on our planet. In terms of strength, it ranks second after diamond. It is much stronger than emeralds or rubies. In terms of its reliability, it is almost ideal for casual jewelry. It perfectly withstands any aggressive environmental influences, including extremely resistant to scratches and other mechanical damage.
Brilliance and Fire
Although the official classification provides the gradation of moissanite only by its color, the cut is of no less importance, on which the brilliance of the gem directly depends. Since the optical characteristics of a mineral differ from those of a diamond, the processing of the moissanite must also differ from the cut of a diamond.
Appropriately cut round moissanites blend in perfectly with any style and go well with any outfit.
The Princess cut, the Passion cut, Marquise, Pear, Cushion and Heart shape are also trendy. The Asscher cut that as usual, is used for emeralds can be also applied. All of them provide excellent brilliance of a gem.
As for fire qualities, they are more bright and full of color in moissanite than in diamonds thanks to its refractive index that is 0.55 higher than that of a diamond.
As for the color variety, that space gem easily bypasses diamonds in it: since most of these precious stones are synthesized in the laboratory, the colors of the mineral surprise even the most experienced connoisseurs. In general, moissanites are divided into three color categories:
- Colorless, transparent (classes D, E, F)
- Almost colorless (grades G, H, I)
- With a slight shade (grades J, K)
Transparent colorless moissanites vintage rings are practically indistinguishable from natural diamonds. And in their other modifications, they are especially appreciated in yellow, green and especially rare blue shades.
The cleanest are artificial synthetic gemstones, as they are created in a human-controlled process, so the presence of inclusions is minimized. And the best purity is with moissanite.
- The refractive index is 0.55 higher than that of a diamond, that is, this mineral sparkles 25% more than diamond.
- The play of light, the so-called dispersion index of moissanite is also more than two times higher than that of a diamond.
- The purity of moissanite is higher - different impurities may be present in the diamond.
- The diamond is less heat resistant.
- The hardness of the two precious minerals is virtually the same.
What Are the Key Benefits of Buying Moissanites?
We have already considered that a gemstone is a good replacement for a diamond. Yet, why should you buy it instead of a diamond? Here are some of the reasons why you should purchase moissanite.
- Its price rules! The cost for moissanite is sometimes 10-12 times lower than the price for a diamond of a similar weight and cut. That is, you can get a ring that looks deluxe even with the smallest budget. For the price, you can see for yourself in our online jewelry store loose moissanite stones for sale.
- That stone is a real boost of luster, brilliance and fire. It has no analogs in other natural and synthetic gems.
- Its sparkling is brighter and more diverse than the sparkling of diamonds due to its higher reflective index.
- Moissanite has 50% more luster than CZ and 18% more luster than a diamond.
- When it comes to durability and comfort, moissanite wins. It is extremely durable, tough, and hard, so you know that it can become a family heirloom.
- It is an ethical choice since it is made in labs and no low-payed labor or ecological disaster is provided when creating them. Can you tell the same about a diamond?
With moissanites, it is possible to get any customized ring you want. It doesn't have any restrictions in use when creating jewelry. Its highest 4Cs allow almost anything to be done.
How to Care for your Moissanite
Moissanite is extremely hard, close to a natural diamond, so you don’t have to worry about it chipping or wearing more than any other jewelry. The metal that it is set in is more likely to become damaged than the stone itself, but sensible precautions will be enough as with any jewelry, don’t store your rings or other pieces anywhere that they might move and scratch each other.
Moissanite jewelry can be cleaned using a any acid free cleaner. Often, soap and water and a small brush like a toothbrush will be enough to clean your jewelry. However an ultrasonic bath is another practical method.
Budget and Size for Moissanite vs. Diamond
As for cost versus size, the comparison will also be in favor of moissanite. Compare moissanite vs diamond obviously that even the largest stones made in a laboratory will cost ten times cheaper than natural diamonds. At the same time, visually you will not be able to distinguish them from each other without laboratory experiments. That is why moissanite today is often called a "new diamond" and it is predicted that over time, it will significantly replace natural stones in the production of jewelry.