Gold types characteristics
Gold is beautiful not only in the form of ingots, but also in various forms and states. In the periodic table, it is designated as Aurum – from Latin it is translated as “golden”. It is a noble and extremely valuable metal.
The list of advantages allowed this particular metal to become the most demanded in many countries of the world. But, like everything else, this metal has characteristics that you need to know to make it easier to choose, whether it’s.
How is the purity of gold determined? Karat or carat?
Those who have at least once encountered the choice of gold know that on each product, whether it is an ingot or a ring, there is a sample designation.
It is clear that gold in its original form is mined with many impurities that make it not “virgin”. It’s just that when using a few special upgrades, gold turns into gold. The more gold in creation, the purer it is.
The purity standard for gold is 99.999% or 24 karats. In jewelry for the manufacture of gold products, pure gold 999.9 (24k) is alloyed with various metals (silver, copper, etc.), which show its hardness and a certain blush.
The karat method differs from the carat method, carat is used when working with diamonds to calculate the weight of a gemstone. The karat method is simple, the karat value shows how many gold coins are contained in a common item.
Not all jewelry is solid gold?
Recognize that if you are buying gold, it cannot be virgin gold, and there are several reasons why solid gold jewelry cannot be made.
24 karat gold is not used:
- Too soft, which can damage the product, it will bend, will have unaesthetic bends.
- The pigment is too bright. The shade is superfluous from the usual generally accepted color of gold, which someone associates with this metal, so the creations are unsuccessful in terms of color. Things made of pure gold are very expensive.
- Such gold itself is very expensive, and this is only a material, you also need to earn money for manufacturing and work, so the price tag will be cosmic.
10k, 14k, 18k, 24k what features do they have?
Any gold has its own value depending on its “purity”, and also has its own characteristics, characteristics and external signs by which it can be distinguished, as well as the features of each of them affect the operation of products.
Everything is very simple, depending on how many parts the gold material consists of, the purity of the product is calculated from there and the classification by karats depends on this.
The gold content is estimated in the karat system:
- 375 sample – 38% gold plus copper and silver. 10 karats. It quickly fades, gets dirty, but at the right time it easily turns pale. Not too expensive, at least in solid gold. It is commonly used as a material for earrings, but is also often used for wedding rings.
- 500 assay – 50.5% gold plus copper and silver. 12 karats. It is difficult to melt and the process quickly loses its luster property. It quickly oxidizes under the influence of external factors, but at the right time it can quickly return to its former shine.
- 585 assay – 59% gold plus copper, nickel, palladium and silver. The 14k gold we most often see in jewelry is the famous gold, useful and attractive. More affordable than 18 karat gold. A very good choice when you need to quickly find value for money. Over 90% of all wedding rings are made from this gold.
- Hallmark 750 – 75.5% gold plus the same ingredients as hallmark 585. 18-karat gold, a relatively pure metal, has a rich yellow color, but is just as soft, of course, a little harder than the purest gold, but it can also deform. and scratch the surface. This gold might not be the most useful choice.
- 999 test – pure gold, without impurities. Soft, easily deformable, rich golden color. Very expensive gold, since it is the purest, can often be seen in the form of bars in jugs.
What gold is better to choose wedding rings?
Like any other material, gold in jewelry, especially in an engagement ring, is essential. Gold determines how the ring looks, wears and serves the wearer. There are 4 types of gold – 10, 12, 14, 18, 24 and each contains a certain amount of pure gold and has its own properties.
10 karats is very durable and multi-durable of all, but contains the smallest admixture of precious and desirable metal for all. 12 karats is also quite durable, but will quickly lose its charm. 14-karat gold is the most numerous and practical, reliable, beautiful and in demand among jewelry. 18 karats are less durable and can be damaged when worn. 24 karat gold is the softest and most easily damaged by use, but has the highest percentage of pure gold.
What is 1 kt of gold?
Anything that contains gold, which is valued at 1 karat, can be named gold, but it is sold at a very low price. You can call it a way to sell something gold quickly and at a low, extremely affordable price.
Which gold to choose and which is right for you?
It is impossible to say exactly which type of gold suits whom. When choosing gold, you need to consider factors such as:
- Activity in life.
- aesthetic preferences.
- Skin sensitivity, allergies.
Time-tested and practical, 54 karat gold is the most comfortable and closed choice.
Yes, of course, you want something unusual, interesting, new, so to speak, but you should pay attention to 18-karat gold. It has a bright color, is quite functional and will be a good choice.
10 karat gold is also a good choice, it will last a very long time and does not deform, but not for everyone. There is no particular difference in the cost of 10-karat and 14-karat gold, so it would be reasonable, practical and not expensive to take a 14-karat gold item. Many jewelry professionals & jewelry stores still recommend choosing 14 karat gold as it will make more sense and be more practical. Despite the limited gold in our world, the market can offer a huge number of solutions for each category of buyers.