Gems for rings undergo several stages of pretreatment and have the same characteristics as natural stones. They may have similar colors, while their surfaces are polished the same way. Synthetic diamond looks the same as products imitating the original. These are moissanite, sapphire, topaz, quartz, and others.
Each natural gemstone contains a certain amount of impurities, due to which the stone has its original color. For artificial synthesis, specialists need to know what genuine stones are made of. Gems are made using boron, hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen. If there is no nitrogenous compound in a stone, it will be transparent or brown. With boron, it becomes blue. The knowledge of what a synthetic diamond is helps to process stones using corresponding technologies.
Are Lab Diamonds the same as Synthetic Diamonds?
Lab-created diamonds are essentially the same as synthetic diamonds created in a lab using a manufacturing process. The production of gemstones that become an elegant ring requires certain conditions. But all products have similar components. Therefore, it can be assumed that gems produced using modern technologies are similar to mined minerals. Closer examination of the constituents of natural minerals reveals distinguishing features between synthetic diamond and natural diamond; they were created several billion years ago and can be found deeper in the earth's crust, leaving a corresponding imprint on the appearance of stones.
Synthetic diamond vs. natural diamond. Regardless of the technology for obtaining the stones, they can be either translucent or have a barely noticeable shade. Both types can be of different shapes:
- Round lab diamonds
- Princess lab diamonds
- Cushion lab diamonds
- Oval lab diamonds
- Emerald lab diamonds
- Asscher lab diamonds
- Pear lab diamonds
- Marquise lab diamonds
- Radiant lab diamonds
- Heart lab diamonds
Outwardly, it is impossible to notice differences in minerals, as they have a pleasant sheen. If you notice any blotches in a synthetic emerald ring, it can be said with certainty that this is an artificial gem.
Types of synthetic diamonds. There are several key categories of synthetic diamonds, which differ in their components:
- 1a—includes clusters of nitrogen atoms, has a yellowish color, or is colorless;
- 1b — consists of various nitrogenous compounds, which may be yellow, orange, or brown;
- 2a — includes almost only pure carbon, has a golden, lilac, or coffee color, or is colorless;
- 2b—includes boron, which can be gray or blue.
One can judge the type of stone by its look.
Synthetic diamonds certification
All minerals have inherited their own special characteristics that are analyzed by tests using different instruments. When all information is verified, the gemstone gets a certificate. It indicates the product's carat weight, color, origin, and other parameters.
All gems weighing more than 0.3 carats are laser-marked with their main characteristics. They are invisible upon close examination: to see them, one needs to use a 10-times magnifying lens.
Synthetic diamond rings have many positive features that buyers pay attention to:
- Pureness and quality — such products are much purer than natural ones. They don’t contain impurities or botches, which may get inside when a gem is extracted from the ground. The crystal structure is much better preserved, so the stones are free from defects.
- Full description of the growing process.
- Various colors — the use of modern technologies makes it possible to grow stones with an iridescent surface at a more affordable cost.
- Environmental sustainability: mining of gems damages the earth’s surface, which cannot be said about stones created by other methods. The production of synthetic gemstones doesn’t require much fuel.
The best synthetic diamonds are environmentally friendly. They are a more affordable alternative to exclusive stones.
Synthetic diamond engagement ring
Artificial gemstones may be used to complement both regular rings and wedding rings. A synthetic diamond engagement ring looks very beautiful, shimmers in the sun, and doesn’t differ at all from the natural stone. Such rings are very popular. A wide selection of jewelry allows customers to choose the most suitable ring for their special occasions.