What are synthetic diamonds?
Gems for rings undergo several stages of pretreatment and have the same characteristics as natural stones. They may have similar color, while their surface is polished the same way. Synthetic diamond looks the same as products imitating the original. These are moissanite, sapphire, topaz, quartz and others.
Each natural gemstone contains a certain amount of impurities, due to which the stone has its original color. For artificial synthesis, specialists need to know what genuine stones are made of. Gems are made using borium, hydrogen, carbon and nitrogen. If there is no nitrogenous compound in a stone, it will be transparent or brown. With borium, it becomes blue. The knowledge of what is a synthetic diamond helps to process stones using corresponding technologies.
Are Lab Diamonds the same as Synthetic Diamonds?
Lab-created are essentially the same synthetic diamonds created in a lab using a manufacturing process. The production of gemstones which become an elegant ring requires certain conditions. But all products have similar components. Therefore, it can be assumed that gems, produced using modern technologies, are similar to mined minerals. Distinctive features between synthetic diamond vs real diamond are visible on closer examination of the constituents of natural minerals; they were created several billion years ago and can be found deeper in the earth’s crust, which leaves a corresponding imprint on the appearance of stones.
Synthetic diamond vs real diamond
Regardless of the technology for obtaining the stones, they can be either translucent or with a barely noticeable shade. Both types can be of different shapes:
- Round lab diamonds
- Princess lab diamonds
- Cushion lab diamonds
- Oval lab diamonds
- Emerald lab diamonds
- Asscher lab diamonds
- Pear lab diamonds
- Marquise lab diamonds
- Radiant lab diamonds
- Heart lab diamonds
Outwardly, it is impossible to notice differences in minerals, as they have a pleasant sheen. If you noticed any blotches in a synthetic emerald ring, it can be surely said this is an artificial gem.
Types of synthetic diamonds
There are several key categories of synthetic diamonds, which differ in their components:
- 1a — includes clusters of nitrogen atoms, has a yellowish color or is colorless;
- 1b — consists of various nitrogenous compounds, may be yellow, orange, or brown;
- 2a — includes almost only pure carbon, has golden, lilac, coffee color or is colorless;
- 2b — includes borium, can be grey or blue
One can judge the type of the stone presented by its look.
Synthetic diamonds certification
All minerals have inherited their special characteristics that are analyzed by tests using different instruments. When all information is verified, the gemstone gets a certificate. It indicates its carat weight, color, origin and other parameters of the product.
All gems weighing more than 0.3 carats are laser-marked with their main characteristics. They are invisible upon close examination: to see them, one needs to use a 10-times magnifying lens.
Benefits of Synthetic diamonds
Synthetic diamond rings have many positive features that buyers pay attention to:
- Pureness and quality — such products are much purer than natural ones. They don’t contain impurities or botches, which may get inside when a gem is extracted from the ground. The crystal structure is much better preserved, so the stones are free from defects.
- Full description of the growing process.
- Various colors — the use of modern technologies makes it possible to grow stones with iridescent surface at a more affordable cost.
- Environmental sustainability — mining of gems damages the earth’s surface, which cannot be said about stones created by other methods. The production of synthetic gemstones doesn’t require much fuel.
Best synthetic diamonds are environmentally friendly. They are a more affordable alternative to exclusive stones.
Synthetic diamond engagement ring
Artificial gemstones may be used to complement both regular rings and wedding rings. A synthetic diamond engagement ring looks very beautiful, shimmers in the sun and doesn’t differ from natural stone at all. Such rings are very popular. A wide selection of jewellery allows customers to choose the most suitable ring for their special occasions.