What kind of stone is moissanite?
Moissanite is a new black in modern fashion for gems. Its sparkles attracts even more than sparklings of a diamond. And its price is quite affordable that also adds attraction to this gem. But do you have any idea about the genesis of a moissanite stone? Let’s figure it out!
What Is Moissanite?
This gem was named after the French chemist Ferdinand Henry Moissane who discovered this amazing silicon-carbon compound. This stone appears when the atoms of two non-metals line up in orderly rows of the crystal lattice, and they need to be thoroughly heated and thoroughly squeezed. On the Earth, such a process in nature couldn’t be performed. That is why naturally created moissanite is a rarity. How did it happened then, that you have an opportunity to easily buy moissanite diamonds in any store?
Is Moissanite Man-Made?
Both yes and no. There are two types of a gem. The first one is naturally grown. But, alas, it can hardly be found even in a 1 carat-sized option. It comes on Earth only with the space dust or meteors. But people managed to repeat the full chemical process in lab conditions. And it is good news! So, today moissanites are actively used being the most realistic and tough diamond substitute.
Does Moissanite Look Like a Diamond?
Yes. And no, again. If you are not an expert in gemology, you can hardly tell what do you see, moissanite or diamond. They are merely alike to an amateur. Moissanite rings vs diamond are even more sparkling thanks to higher refractive index. They are often called artificial diamonds that look real.
Moissanite Qualities (Cut Clarity Color Carat)
And here we come to the most exciting questions. What are the main qualities of this stone and how do they differ from the diamond’s qualities.
- Cut. Moissanite can have all the types of diamond cut. Moreover, its edges are perfectly measured. Inserts made of moissanite are made according to the strict canons of optical science while natural diamonds, in order to preserve carats, are sometimes cut with considerable violations of the geometric symmetry.
- Clarity of the lab-grown stone is higher than of the majority of natural ones due to its lab created diamonds.
- Carat measure of moissanite is a bit heavier than of a diamond. Gems of similar size will differ in weight due to a higher specific gravity of moissanite.
- Color is also its merit. While growing moissanite the expert can make it of any coloring and it is quite easy to make the purest colorless gem
Is Moissanite Graded on the GIA Diamond Color Grading Scale?
Moissanite is also graded by GIA scale and similar moissanite and diamond do have different grades. For moissanite, it is quite common having D to F (DEF) mark. And for diamonds, such marks shows its sky-high price as such diamonds are rare.
What Is Moissanite Fire
It is the main quality that makes this gemstone not only a diamond substitute but a separate gemstone evaluated in jewelry. The fire is the result of light refraction through the edges of a stone. And moissanite fire is twice brighter and colorfull than of the diamond. That is why people are often searching for ‘moissanite near me’ in spite of buying a natural diamond.
Does Moissanite Have Any Inclusions?
We cannot say that moissanite is the clearest gem on the earth due to the chemical process that can cause some inclusions in the gem. But as usual, such inclusions are rare and of such a small size that you can hardly notice them without a microscope.
Moissanite’s Resistance to Scratching and Breaking
Being third in the world classification of material’s hardness, moissanite is resistant to scratches and breaking merely as the diamond is.
Moissanite vs Diamond Side by Side
Let’s make a little summary. About moissanite.
- It is a rare natural mineral from outer space and it is also a man-crafted gemstone that is actively used in jewelry.
- It has higher specific gravity and it has more carats than diamond.
- It is clearer and has more intensive fire.
- If you compare moissanite vs diamond the cost of moissanite is 10 to 15 times cheaper.
- It has higher grades by GIS scale.
It is an affordable price and a brilliant sparkling that take the gem on the top of popularity. And today, if you ask yourself ‘Should I get a moissanite engagement ring? we will definitely say it is the right choice.