Diamonds are considered to be among the most valuable things on Earth. These incredible gems got their popularity due to several reasons. The first one is their features that include the highest strength, impressive refraction index and sparkling when the gem is already cut. One more reason is their rarity as in nature, diamonds are rare and to mine them, lots of sources are required. These two reasons fully explain the value of the diamond and correlate with their price, as the smallest gemstone is quite costly.
Yet, in the XXI century, to get your diamond jewelry you have a wide choice as there are not only naturally-mined diamonds but also gems created by human skills. These are often called fake diamonds. But among these false gems, there are several types that have less in common.
Let's consider the main types of fake diamonds to get through whether they are worth of your attention?
What Are Fake Diamonds Called?
All these types of gems are also known as simulating diamonds, as their main mission is to submit natural diamonds having the similar look. Yet, these types are quite diverse, so we can consider their variety.
- Moissanite is grown in laboratory conditions since 1905. In its composition, it is silicon carbide. The name of the mineral is in honor of its creator, the French scientist Henri Moissant. Further, technologies were significantly developed, giving the opportunity to grow clear water gems with even higher sparkling than the diamond has. The industrial value of moissanite is very high. In terms of its technical characteristics, it can even surpass natural stone. If you want to get fake diamond engagement rings that will hardly be distinguished from natural diamonds, it is moissanite you can choose for them. This is especially true of the new trend vintage ring with moissanite.
- Swarovski crystals are crystal with a changed composition. Swarovski is a world-famous brand. Daniel Swarovski began his activity in the middle of the 19th century, then he invented his own formula, which allowed him to obtain crystals with perfect brilliance and beauty. Yet, these crystals are commonly used for imitations jewelry.
- Cubic zirconia was invented in 1968. In the Soviet Union, it was named after its creator - the Physics Institute of the Academy of Sciences. The goal was to create such a mineral that can be used in laser installations. The chemical composition of Cubic zirconia differs from diamond, it is zirconium dioxide. (A diamond is made of carbon)
- VVS simulated diamonds are also grown in lab conditions. These types are quite diverse due to their basis and chemical composition used. Among them, there are quartz-based, beryl-based and others.
Natural Diamond vs Fake Diamonds vs Synthetic Diamonds
If we compare natural diamonds and their artificial substitutes with each other, we can find many differences, both in favor of the former and in favor of the latter. Why are natural diamonds good? Firstly, its rarity and value are considered. They often act as an investment object, and their price does not fall over time.
As for the imitation diamond, it has its own merits:
- When you buy simulated diamonds, you will definitely not end up on stones of questionable ethical value. Such diamonds are environmentally friendly, there are no bloody diamonds among them, no child or slave labor is used in their production.
- In terms of quality and 4C parameters, synthetic diamonds often win. Nature cannot create only large diamonds with high clarity and perfect color. Laboratory conditions and accurate calculations allow you to do this.
- At the same time, it is not easy for a person, even with experience in jewelry, to distinguish high-quality synthetic diamonds.
- And the price of fake diamonds can be ten times lower than for a diamond of natural origin
That is why today the industry for the production of artificial laboratory stones is gaining momentum.
How to Spot Simulated Diamonds?
If you are looking to buy a natural diamond and want to protect yourself from counterfeiting, it is best to choose stones from reliable sellers with an impeccable reputation. In addition, you can request a certificate for each stone, and if it is not there, there is a great chance that they are trying to sell you a synthetic stone.
And if you are interested in the beauty of jewelry, then there is nothing wrong with choosing a synthetic diamond or moissanite. Today, there are lots of fake diamond engagement rings that look real, and you won't even be able to see the obvious differences.
How to Test Diamonds in Home and Laboratory?
There are several methods that allow to test fake diamond rings. If you carefully consider two gems, the first and most significant difference between natural stones and artificial ones is their purity. Natural origin will always be distinguished by the presence of any kind of inclusions inside the diamond (and any other stone), small cracks, so-called “curtains” and other defects will be noticeable, without which no natural stone can do. It is impossible to create such inclusions in synthetic stones, artificial analogs are always transparent, do not have a single defect.
Use a magnifying glass to explore each gem. In addition to a magnifying glass, which will instantly reveal the secret of the origin of the stone, by increasing the inclusions in it, you can define a diamond using simple letters. Yes, you need any printed text on a light background, even a black line will do. Even the letters on a business card can be seen through Cubic zirconia, but reading with a diamond will fail. Moissanite has different optical properties, and depends on the type and quality of polishing of the girdle - the effect of double vision can be observed.
Yet, if you are not obsessed by getting only natural gems, fake rings that look real will be a great choice of yours. Just apply for them to a reliable seller who can tell you what are simulated diamonds and will offer you the most similar to natural gemstones.